3.26.2009

notes: 3/7/09, Triumph Brewing Company

This was a great time, with a ton of our friends and family out to join Triumph's ever-busy bar scene for just under three hours of music. With Joe's strat-and-tube-amp setup in tow, we packed the setlist with covers in deference to the Saturday-night crowd, took every opportunity to dig in to a tasty jam, and even gave permission for the manager to try out his new lights-and-fog rig, which he did to great (if bar mitzvah-like) effect during Joe's wah freakout in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Big thanks to our new friend Ken Adessa, whose expert tambourine held down the rhythm for about 75% of the set (he's a drummer in his own right for a few bands, including NJ soul outfit Enzo and the Bakers).

These Triumph shows can be a lot of fun, although I have to admit that I'm a sucker for the slow stuff that usually gets left out of these setlists. But Saturday night gigs are what they are, and you've got to play to your audience. Have no fear, of course...once I finish cutting up the audio for the decidedly-mellower 3/19 John & Peter's show, I'll be posting some of those tunes here.

For now, enjoy two taped-from-the-audience tracks from the show, "Corinne" (also known by its working title, "The Drunk Girl Song") and an interesting take on the George Harrison classic "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

(NOTE: To hear full versions of these songs, you must apparently have an imeem profile. I will research different media hosts for future postings, I apologize for any inconvenience. For what it's worth, it takes about two seconds to set up a profile, and I'll vouch for seeing no spam emails or issues arise since I set mine up a year ago)



Corinne (live @ Triumph, 3/7/09).mp3 - Justin Pope & Friends

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison) (live @ Triumph, 3/7/09).mp3 - Justin Pope & Friends

03.07.09 - Triumph Brewing Company
Setlist:

(^ - featuring Joe Durniak, * - featuring Melanie Snyder, + - featuring Lisa Rich)

1. Saying Whatever (J. Durniak)^
2. Corinne^*+
3. The Birthday Song^*+
4. Carmelita (W. Zevon)^
5. How I Got Through It^*+
6. Dear Azalea Gwen^*
7. The Drugs Don't Work (R. Ashcroft)^
8. Six, Seven^*
9. Bubbles^
10. Swear^*

11. Into the Mystic (V. Morrison)^*
12. Graceland (P. Simon)^
13. The Ballad of Brighter Begins^*
14. I Wonder (The Letter Song) (J. Durniak)^
15. The Sun's In My Eyes (J. Durniak)^
16. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (G. Harrison)^
17. I'm Your Man (L. Cohen)^
18. Drive (J. Durniak)^
19. Black Star (Radiohead)*
20. A Plea To Lara^*+
21. The Sprinter (Avoiding a Marathon)^*
22. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes (P. Simon)^

(songs by Justin Pope unless indicated. All Joe Durniak songs were sung by Joe, with backup by Justin)

No comments:

Post a Comment